Identifying the signs of substance abuse and addiction is the first step in getting help. There are many signs to look out for, including both physical and emotional changes.
Look for these signs when identifying substance abuse:
- Personality changes, such as increased irritability
- Major changes in sleep patterns, including sleeping too much and sleeping too little. Some drugs, like meth, keep users up for days at a time
- Noticeable increases or decreases in weight
- Physical characteristics, like bloodshot eyes, bad breath, shakes, bloody noses, rotten teeth and dull skin
- Loss of interest in old hobbies
- Borrowing and stealing money
- Withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, headaches, depression, or fever
All of these are signs of substance abuse and addiction and identifying them will help you and your family get the treatment you need.